Fresh Tomato and Basil Soup
The Fresh Tomato and Basil Soup recipe is courtesy of Matthew, the editor of the healthy recipe and cooking site, Fave Diets.com. According to Matthew, a tasty aioli (a sauce made of garlic and olive oil) is made first for this tasty soup. In addition, it is a great way to use up the balance of your tomatoes from your garden and store for those cold winter nights when you can use a splash of summer.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 2 garlic, cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup low calorie mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 sprig basil
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, halved
- 2 chicken stock
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- With processor running, drop garlic through feed tube; chop finely.
- Add basil and lemon juice; chop finely.
- Add mayonnaise; blend. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over low heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and basil.
- Cover and cook until vegetables are very tender, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place large strainer over bowl. Working over strainer, squeeze seeds and juice from tomatoes.
- Chop tomatoes and add to vegetables in saucepan.
- Using rubber spatula, press on tomato seeds and pulp in strainer to extract as much juice as possible.
- Add strained juice to saucepan. Add chicken stock to saucepan; bring to simmer over medium-low heat. Discard basil sprig. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with aioli.
Basil Soup Recipes
Here are some additional Basil Soups you might want to give a try. Warm up your family and friends with these soup recipes!
Soup and Salad are a natural combination. Here are a few great basil salad ideas you might like.
Top of Fresh Tomato and Basil Soup
Home to Basil Basics
Return to Basil Recipes
Return to Recipes with Basil (HARO)